Poetry by E. Fox

Ink & Lead 

I’m too afraid to be that of the bold permanence. 
Afraid to be the spilled ink seeped into the bones of a page. 
Etched not only into the surface but run deep into one’s core. 
With the daring stance of unwavering line after line. 
Forever waiting to be scrutinized and yet still stay unchanged. 
Never truly able to be erased. 
Meekly covered in an attempt to be conformed. 
All I ever will be is the faded lead. 
The blended marks left on the page. 
Standing alone in despair. 
Left for others disposal. 
Bringing the weight of everything sinking down. 
Drowning to the bottomless pit of one’s mind. 
Blackened with the ink pressed over my skin. 
Seeing what is left in my wake. 
Only after I’ve been erased. 
 

Flesh Filled Face 

You know that feeling when you see another beautiful person 
And you can’t help but touch your own delicate skin in response 
I can’t help but notice that mine is not so delicate 
Not so beautiful 
It feels as a softer mask waiting to be peeled from the bone 
The flesh sits atop my skull in mock disguise 
Seeing another beautiful person only makes me realize that I am not that 
I am only a faceless entity waiting to truly figure out who I am 
 

A Role, Not a Model 

My dad never loved me, I know it 
He liked me when I was just a small child 
Until I got older and then 
Then he didn’t even like me 
I realize now it wasn’t hate when I was growing up 
It was only dislike 
It became hate as I aged more and more 
But once I was “old enough,” 
He started to like me once again 
Or at least what he could make me to be 
He liked that I didn’t like “her” 
But he never realized I hated him too 
It was almost in the same way he did me 
But I was so much younger 
I just wanted to be happy and loved 
He never accepted my choices 
They weren’t his, so neither was I 
Even now it is the same 
It always has been 
And always will be 


Copyright © E. Fox. All rights reserved. 
 
Fox is an Indigenous aspiring poet from the Arikara and Lakota-Sioux Nations who was born and raised in North Dakota. They have been a lover of books & reading from a very young age, always searching for more to fulfill themself with as time has gone forward. Their published works can be seen featured in Yellow Medicine Review's 2023 Fall Edition. Fox's motivation in writing stems from their want to reach all communities and show the ability along with the importance of Native American & LGBTQ+ youths' writing about the experiences of growing up & coming of age. Fox is currently a recent high school graduate with the hopes of transitioning to a career in creative writing through workshops and apprenticeships. With every gained experience, they are working on a collection of poetry with aspirations to soon publish a book of their own that will help take off their career in writing.

River, Blood, And Corn Literary Journal: A Community of Voices

Copyright © 2010-2024. Individual writers and photographers retain all rights to their work, unless they have other agreements with previous publishers.We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts.
If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive.—Barry Lopez, in Crow and Weasel