Pick a Garnet to Sleep In

by Kim Shuck

We are hunting the graveyards and 
Practicing fly-casting off of the roof at 4am 
It must be summer 
I paint the symbols on my feet 
Study the evolution of bats and 
21st century poetry of the 600 block of Chenery 
Oh child 
I braid you into my hair most days 
And I’m the only one who can read you there 
But then 
We are descended from the symbolic dead and 
I’m becoming the old woman out of those stories 
If not as quickly as I’d hoped 

Copyright © 2024 Kim Shuck. All rights reserved.
 
Kim Shuck loves fiddling with words and puzzles and stones. Shuck served as the 7th Poet Laureate of San Francisco and is still recovering. Her latest book is Pick a Garnet to Sleep In.



River, Blood, And Corn Literary Journal: A Community of Voices

Copyright © 2010-2024. Individual writers and photographers retain all rights to their work, unless they have other agreements with previous publishers.We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts.
If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive.—Barry Lopez, in Crow and Weasel