César Love Poetry

Four Corners 
 
you share with me a picture of your sunset 
I would give one back to you 
But my balcony faces east
 
instead, I offer you 
A midnight 
dawn
And noon
 
three corners of the sky 
with your sunset, they are four 
one diamond of the night and day 
 

Orange 
In the grocery store aisle
one belly button orange with a scar 
others pristine, unblemished 
others soon to be sold
 
Between perfect sisters 
one unbidden sphere 
branded by two discolored inches 
not to be held 
not to be tasted
 
A globe passed over 
oceans never plunged 
forests never inhaled 
landscapes never painted
 
A world unfathomed 
with a navel and a canyon scar 
is the canyon east or west?
north or south? 
perhaps along her belly 
or across a breast
maybe against her cheek. 
 

Moonlight at Noon 
The Moon, My Shadow, and I make Three. – Li Po 
 
I would bake on this planet 
If not for the Moon I invited 
She agreed to let me keep her 
Tucked beneath my blouse 
Her cool face against my belly 

I lounge in her quiet 
I swim in her well 
I bloom in her sanity 
 
The Moon brought me a friend 
One who used to follow me 
She mimicked my every movement 
At first she flattered me 
Then she mocked me 
Finally, she ran away 
I screamed at her, 
Come back here! 
I tried to put a leash on her 
But she was too smart 
I threw a plum at her 
Of course, she thew one back 
We did this for months 
Then the Moon told me her name 
 

The Poet’s Tent 
North or South, she travels 
Always with her tent. 
On chosen ground, 
She slides its rods into the earth.
 
She places cloth on its frame. 
A cloth she imagined 
Something like a Mexican rebozo 
Something like an Amish quilt 
A cloth that exchanges colors 
That switches latticework 
Cloth that vibrates to the heartbeat of deer 
Cloth that answers the whispers of trees
 
The poet smooths the floor 
She unrolls her carpet 
Psychic knots detach from its tendrils: 
abandoned theories 
dropped desires 
jettisoned memories. 
They pulse on her floor. 
Soon to transform 
Soon to become 
feral opals 
protean metals 
iris crystals. 

She prepares the door 
Butterflies of every stripe arrive 
 
© César Love. All rights reserved. 
 
Cesar Love is a Latino poet influenced by the Asian masters. A resident of San Francisco’s Mission District, he is also an editor of the Haight Ashbury Literary Journal. He is the author of Birthright and While Bees Sleep. cesarlovepoetry.yolasite.com

River, Blood, And Corn Literary Journal: A Community of Voices

Copyright © 2010-2024. Individual writers and photographers retain all rights to their work, unless they have other agreements with previous publishers.We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts.
If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive.—Barry Lopez, in Crow and Weasel