AMERICAN INDIAN ADOPTEES: Lost Children, Lost Ones, Lost Birds

Jump

By Trace A. DeMeyer

I jump with evolution

As a child of the stars,

a witness to human frailty


I study the masters,

Mystics, prophets, poets

to absorb their magic


I propel mountains of knowledge

But fall back, poisoned by pollution

Broken by my own ignorance and innocence


My blood stores so many memories

every horrific mistake, every genocide,

Things I would just as soon forget.


So I pray myself well.



Copyright © Trace A. DeMeyer. All rights reserved.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Trace A. DeMeyer (Cherokee-Shawnee) writes poetry when the quiet voice wakes her. She is working on her first chapbook. Her memoir “One Small Sacrifice: Lost Children of the Indian Adoption Projects,” published in 2010, describes her search for adoption history, her identity and birth-relatives. Trace is former editor of the Pequot Times and Ojibwe Akiing. Visit her on the web at her journalist blog www.splitfeathers.blogspot.com

Featured Post

On Native Ground

By Rebecca Hatcher Travis like old men faithfully bent over their constant fires hazy blue hills work their way towa...

River, Blood, And Corn

Follow by Email